Saturday, November 21, 2009

Ideas for displaying your photos (part 2)

In the last post, I looked at examples of lines and grids of framed photos at Paris Photo. This post will give examples that break with those basic layouts.


This combination of portrait and landscape frames is made more interesting by staggering the portrait frames rather than keeping them symmetrical.


Here, the arrow-like triangular positioning leads your eye from left to right.


This is an attempt to break up the traditional gallery-style line of photos. I'm not sure how I feel about the near-checkerboard look, but I guess it depends on the context.


One central photo (hidden by the man's head) seems to sprout wings from either side. Note how the ample matting helps contain what would otherwise be too many competing images. To me, this looks very Martha Stewart. And speaking of Martha, one of her tips that I have used is to cut out paper versions of all your frames and arrange them on the wall before you commit. I use paper grocery bags and painter's tape.


If there is any philosphy behind this arrangement, it is to avoid lining up any two frames. In my opinion, the quare white space on the left side draws too much attention to itself.


I love how the one landscape-oriented frame pops out of the grid in this set of Lartigue photos (which can be yours for a mere 120,000 euros. Yikes!) Once again we see the small photo / large matte look.


I also love how a couple of huge photos can fill a room.

Two groups of three. Good? Not so much? What do you think?


Symmetrical, but different. Makes me think of an owl.


And finally, a reminder that you don't have to let the shape of your photo determine the shape of your frame. Experimenting with mattes can make your display look more high end.

3 comments:

michelle said...

I like that last photo a lot. Those are nice.

I didn't really care for the two groups of three or the checkerboard. But I found the "wings" arrangement kind of cool.

Unknown said...

Wow! What a great blog!! I'm so glad that I found it! I can't wait to go back through your old posts. I can tell that I'm going to be really inspired---oh, I should say that I found your blog from your Antique Paris Fleamarket photoshop brushes! Thanks for creating them! Happy Thanksgiving!

marc said...

Thanks, Modern Girl Style! I'm thinking of making a new set of brushes as another Christmas gift to my readers.